Quick recipe finder Beef stew with dumplings
For the dumplings
- 55g/2oz fresh suet, finely chopped, or 85g/3oz shredded suet
- 175g/6oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp horseradish sauce (optional)
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- dash milk or water
For the beef stew
- 2kg/4½lb beef brisket
- 3 onions, thickly sliced
- 3 carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 celery stick, cut into 2cm/1in pieces
- 350g/12oz potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- water or beef stock, to cover the meat
For the dumplings, mix the suet, flour, salt and baking powder together in a bowl and stir in the horseradish and parsley, if using. Gradually add milk or water to the mixture, mixing well to form a soft dough. With floured hands, roll small pieces of the dough into dumpling-sized balls. Set aside.
For the stew, place the beef brisket into a large saucepan and scatter around the onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, bay leaf and parsley. Add enough water or beef stock to cover, then bring to the boil.
Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to its lowest and simmer for at least 1-2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Add the dumplings to the stew 20 minutes before the stew is finished cooking. Cover with a lid and do not lift again until the end of the cooking time, or until the dumplings are cooked through.
To serve, spoon the stew and dumplings into bowls.
Slow cooker beef hotpot