Quick recipe finder Aromatic wok fried beans
These Chinese green beans are an amazing accompaniment or a dish to be enjoyed in their own right, full of goodness and vitamins designed to give you health, wealth and happiness after your meal.
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- ½ a fresh red chilli, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 3cm/1¼in piece of fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 4 spring onions,finely chopped
- 4 water chestnuts, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp skinless peanuts, boiled for 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp dried shrimps
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 250g/9oz fine French beans, topped and tailed
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- pinch of caster sugar
- ground white pepper
- 2 tsp sesame oil
Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat. Once hot, add the garlic and chilli and stir-fry for 10 seconds to soften. Add half the ginger and all the spring onions, along with the water chestnuts, peanuts and dried shrimps, and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
Add the green beans to the wok and stir-fry. The beans should begin to blister and turn slightly golden. Once everything begins to soften, add the Shaoxing rice wine, fish sauce and soy sauce and cook for a further 10 seconds.
Add four tablespoons of hot water. Leave to steam for a further 4–5 minutes until the water is almost evaporated and the beans are hot through but still crunchy.
Add the remaining ginger and season the mixture with caster sugar, white pepper and sesame oil. Serve piping hot.
Speedy miso noodles with soft boiled egg
This recipe is from…
BBC Radio 4