Quick recipe finder Aromatic sweet potato crème brûlée
- ½ sweet potato, peeled, cut into three slices, parboiled for 4-5 minutes, drained
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream
- 2 green cardamom pods, bruised
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- pinch ground ginger
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 free-range egg yolk
Place the parboiled sweet potato, double cream, cardamom pods, nutmeg and ground ginger into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering, then simmer until the sweet potato is tender. Remove the cardamom pods and blend the mixture with a stick blender until smooth.
Place one tablespoon of sugar and all of the egg yolks into a small bowl and whisk until pale and frothy. Pour over the hot blended sweet potato mixture and whisk until thickened, then pour into a ramekin dish.
To serve, sprinkle with the remaining sugar and use a chefs’ mini-blow torch to caramelise the sugar.
This recipe is from…
Ready Steady Cook
Recipes from this episode
- Almond crusted lemon sole
- Chilli spinach soup
- Caramelised mango wedges
- Lemon sole with almond butter sauce
- Poppadum-crusted chicken breast with turmeric rice
- Sautéed chicken breast with chilli, tomato and herb stew
- Spicy kale with tomato and onion
- Spicy mustard crusted lamb chops with garlicky kale
- Spinach and poppadum millefeuille