Quick recipe finder Chargrilled octopus with an artichoke salad
Octopus is marinated in chilli, mint and lemon before being griddled and tossed in a salad packed full of fresh flavours.
For the chargrilled octopus
- 1kg/2lb 4oz octopus
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half horizontally
- 8 black peppercorns, left whole
For the marinade
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 lemon, zest and juice only
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
For the artichoke salad
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 250ml/9fl oz chicken stock
- 6 baby artichokes, peeled and choke removed, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced on a mandolin, fronds reserved
- 15g/½oz rocket leaves
- 15g/½oz baby spinach
- 1 tbsp Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
For the chargrilled octopus, place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1½-2 hours.
Remove from the pan and discard the vegetables, set aside the octopus to cool.
Once cool, cut the octopus into pieces and place in a large bowl. Add the marinade ingredients and leave for at least two hours.
For the artichoke salad, heat a large frying pan or sauté pan and add the thyme, stock and artichoke. Cover with a lid on and cook for 5-6 minutes.
Heat a large griddle pan until hot. Place the marinated octopus on the griddle and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until bar marks appear.
Place the cooked baby artichokes and fennel slices and fronds in a large bowl along with the rocket and spinach.
Place the vinegar, honey and oil in a small bowl and mix.
Add the octopus and dressing to the salad and mix.
To serve, place the salad into shallow serving bowls and sprinkle over the parsley and chilli.
Slow-braised octopus with potato salad and anchovy dressing
This recipe is from…
Recipes from this episode