Quick recipe finder Brussels sprout gratin
- 55g/2oz butter
- 55g/2oz plain flour
- 200ml/7fl oz milk
- 100ml/3½fl oz double cream
- 85g/3oz cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g/3½oz Brussels sprouts, quartered
- small handful chopped fresh chives, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and stir until it forms a thick paste. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk and cream. Return to the heat and stir until the mixture has thickened.
Add the grated cheese, mustard, salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer for five minutes over a low heat.
Place the quartered Brussels sprouts into a pan of salted boiling water and boil for 3-4 minutes, then drain.
Spoon the cooked Brussels sprouts into the base of a small gratin dish and pour over the cheese sauce. Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden-brown on top. Scatter with chopped fresh chives and serve.
This recipe is from…
Ready Steady Cook
Recipes from this episode
- Simple egg-fried rice
- Broccoli, lemon and pine nut penne
- Chargrilled chicken with rosemary and parsley-infused tomatoes
- Cheddar cheese soufflé
- Chicken stuffed with leek, basil and ginger with crisp fried cabbage
- Chocolate and orange soufflé
- Penne with fresh green pesto
- Penne with spicy roasted pepper sauce
- Brussels sprout and cheese soup