Quick recipe finder Blood orange tart
How beautiful is this tart? The season for blood oranges is short, so don’t miss the chance to try this.
- 200g/7oz sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 3 blood oranges, juice and zest
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 2 free-range eggs, plus 6 yolks
- 200g/7oz butter, cubed
- 25cm/10in sweetened shortcrust pastry tart shell, blind baked (you can use ready-made)
- 3 blood oranges, peeled, sliced into rounds
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- double cream or custard, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Whisk the sugar, orange juice and zest, orange blossom water, eggs and egg yolks together in a bowl until well combined.
Add the butter and set over a pan over simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water.)
Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly, until the butter has melted and the mixture has thickened.
Pour the mixture into the cooked pastry case , cover with clingfilm (to prevent a skin forming) and set aside to cool.
Arrange the orange slices on the cooled tart and sprinkle over the demerara sugar.
Using a cooks’ blowtorch, heat the sugar until caramelised.
To serve, slice the tart and serve with double cream or custard.
Tarte au citron
This recipe is from…
Something for the Weekend
Recipes from this episode