Quick recipe finder Beef in oyster sauce
Try Ken Hom’s recipe for this Chinese takeaway classic, served with spicy salad.
For the beef
- 450g/1 lb fillet of beef, cut into 5cm/2in thin strips
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped spring onions
For the salad
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Madras curry powder
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100g/3½oz broccoli florets, cut into small florets
- 100g/3½oz French beans, trimmed
- 100g/3½oz cauliflower florets, cut into small florets
- 100g/3½oz peas
- 225g/8oz fresh tomato, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 50g/2 oz fresh water chestnuts, peeled, sliced
- 3 tbsp finely chopped shallots, squeezed dry through a linen cloth
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
Put the beef, soy sauce, sesame oil, Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry and cornflour into a bowl and mix together until well combined. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
Heat a wok or large frying-pan until it is very hot.
Add the oil, and when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the beef slices and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes or until they are pale golden-brown.
Remove the beef strips and set aside to drain in a colander over a bowl. Discard the drained oil.
Wipe the wok or pan clean and reheat it over a high heat until it is hot.
Add the oyster sauce, and bring to a simmer.
Return the drained beef slices and mix them thoroughly with the sauce.
Turn the mixture onto a serving platter and garnish with the spring onions.
Meanwhile, for the salad, mix the mustard, curry powder, soy sauce, salt, pepper and olive oil together in a bowl.
Cook the broccoli, green beans and cauliflower in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then add peas and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Drain the vegetables into a warm bowl, then add the water chestnuts and tomatoes, shallots and chives. Drizzle over the salad dressing and mix until well combined.
Serve the salad alongside the beef.
Asian-braised shin of beef with hot and sour shredded salad
Speedy miso noodles with soft boiled egg
This recipe is from…
Saturday Kitchen Best Bites
Recipes from this episode