Quick recipe finder Banana and semolina sheera
- 150 ml/¼ pint clarified butter, (unsalted butter, melted and strained through a sieve)
- 125g/5 oz semolina
- 100g/4oz sugar
- 1 medium banana, ripe
- 550ml/1 pint milk, warmed
- ¼ tsp saffron strands, soaked in 1 tbsp milk
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds, lightly toasted
Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan and add the semolina. Fry on a low heat until it changes colour and has a toasty aroma, but be careful not to burn it.
Add the sugar and stir until the mixture becomes syrupy.
Peel and mash the banana and add to the semolina, along with the milk, saffron, nutmeg, sultanas and cardamom.
Simmer, stirring occassionally, until the mixture is cooked.
Serve warm in little ramekins, garnished with almonds.