Quick recipe finder Balinese Rice Pudding
- 300g/10½oz black glutinous rice (available from some Asian grocers), washed
- 170g/6oz palm sugar, grated
- 2 pandan leaves, shredded, or 2 drops pandan or vanilla essence (available from some Asian grocers)
- 450ml/15¾fl oz coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- fresh coconut, to garnish
Soak the glutinous rice in water overnight.
Drain the rice, and place in a saucepan with 1.5 litres/2 pints 12¾oz of water. Heat the mixture until boiling and continue to cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
Stir the sugar and one of the pandan leaves into the rice and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, heat the coconut milk, the remaining pandan leaf and the salt in a saucepan until the mixture thickens.
To serve, remove the pandan leaves from the rice and the coconut milk. Spoon the cooked black rice into each of 6 serving bowls. Pour over the coconut milk and garnish with the fresh coconut.
Almond rice pudding and cherry compôte
This recipe is from…
The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best
3. Simple Suppers
Recipes from this episode