Quick recipe finder Apple Charlotte
You’ll need a very large pan and five pudding basins to make this traditional pudding to feed a big crowd.
- 900g/2lb unsalted butter
- 600g/1lb 5oz caster sugar
- 5kg/11lb Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 60 slices white bread, crusts removed
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Heat 250g/9oz of the butter in a large saucepan, add the sugar and the apples and cook for 20 minutes or until the apples have broken down.
Place the remaining butter in a microwaveable dish and heat for 3-4 minutes, or until melted.
Cut each slice of bread into four strips and dip into the melted butter. Line five 1.2 litre/2 pint pudding basins with the bread, overlapping the slices slightly, reserving some bread to place on the top.
Fill the lined basins with the apple mixture and top with the remaining bread that has been dipped in butter.
Bake in the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until golden-brown on top.
This recipe is from…
Hairy Bikers’ Meals on Wheels
Recipes from this episode
- Toad in the hole for a crowd
- Corned beef hash
- Spotted dick
- Quiche Lorraine
- Swiss roll
- Chicken fricassée
- Cottage pie to feed a crowd
- Chicken pasties
- Treacle tart for a crowd
- Chicken chasseur for a crowd
- Summer berry trifle
- Beef stroganoff
- Jam roly-poly
- Mince with herb dumplings
- Strawberry fool
- Lemon roly-poly
- Fruit and yoghurt with homemade granola
- Sausage casserole
- Manchester tart
- Jam sponge pudding
- Pork schnitzel with parsley sauce
- Eve’s pudding
- Chocolate sponge pudding
- Julie’s bread and butter pudding
- Liver and bacon with onions and gravy
- Beef pasties
- Fish in parsley sauce