Quick recipe finder Green tomato chutney
Use up green tomatoes from your garden with this tasty chutney recipe – it’s delicious on a cheese sandwich.
- 175g/6oz light brown sugar
- 150ml/5fl oz white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, finely chopped
- 2cm/¾in piece fresh root ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 125g/4½oz sultanas
- 600g/1lb 5oz green tomatoes, quartered
Heat the sugar in a frying pan until the sugar melts and caramelises.
Add the white wine vinegar, shallot, garlic, ginger, chilli, sultanas and green tomatoes and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until the chutney has thickened and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid.
Spoon the chutney into sterilised jars.
This recipe is from…